Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I Listened To September 17 - 23, 2010



1. Autolux - Transit Transit (TBD Records)

2. Menomena - Mines (Barsuk)

3. Kelley Stoltz - To Dreamers (Sub Pop)

4. The Eels - Tomorrow Morning (E Works)

5. Jorma Kaukonen - Quah (Grunt Records/RCA)

6. Shadow Shadow Shade - Shadow Shadow Shade (Public Records)

7. Radars To the Sky - Supra / Infra (self release)

8. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Merge Records)

9. Eastern Conference Champions - Santa Fe (self release)

10. Family of the Year - Songbook (Washashore Records)


This was the week of the Menomena and Autolux shows at El Rey, so I feasted on Mines and Transit Transit in anticipation of both concerts and I'm glad I did, for it so enhanced the shows for me.

I love the new Kelley Stoltz album, To Dreamers, which is a delightful pop album filled with hummable, danceable tunes, and enough hooks to keep me coming back for more. I was surprised how much I like it.

Shadow Shadow Shade are releasing their first full length CD and the advance copy I have is a wonderful recorded representation of their bombastic, operatic rock. Beautifully done.

The Eels new CD, Tomorrow Morning, requires repeated listenings and a bit of concentration, but once it gets to you, you're hooked. Everything else, you know, except the Family of the Year CD I picked up at their show. Nice alt/country rock.


whrabbit

No comments: