1. Autolux - Transit Transit (TBD Records)
2. Menomena - Mines (Barsuk)
3. Kelley Stoltz - To Dreamers (Sub Pop)
4. The Eels - Tomorrow Morning (E Works)
5. Jorma Kaukonen - Quah (Grunt Records/RCA)
6. Shadow Shadow Shade - Shadow Shadow Shade (Public Records)
7. Radars To the Sky - Supra / Infra (self release)
8. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Merge Records)
9. Eastern Conference Champions - Santa Fe (self release)
10. Family of the Year - Songbook (Washashore Records)
This was the week of the Menomena and Autolux shows at El Rey, so I feasted on Mines and Transit Transit in anticipation of both concerts and I'm glad I did, for it so enhanced the shows for me.
I love the new Kelley Stoltz album, To Dreamers, which is a delightful pop album filled with hummable, danceable tunes, and enough hooks to keep me coming back for more. I was surprised how much I like it.
Shadow Shadow Shade are releasing their first full length CD and the advance copy I have is a wonderful recorded representation of their bombastic, operatic rock. Beautifully done.
The Eels new CD, Tomorrow Morning, requires repeated listenings and a bit of concentration, but once it gets to you, you're hooked. Everything else, you know, except the Family of the Year CD I picked up at their show. Nice alt/country rock.