Sunday, March 14, 2010

What I'm Listening To

I've always regretted dropping the posts about my top ten albums of each week, and it is the question I get asked the most when I'm out at shows, "What are you listening to?". So I'm going to revive it with the dual purpose of letting people know why my taste is so peculiar, and getting something up on this site every week, at least. I promise to keep on doing it, until I don't do it anymore.

Plus...there is some incredible music out there!

I'll reiterate a fact I laid out when I did this before, and that is that I am an all album person. I listen to complete albums, beginning to end, every time I listen to anything. Listening to one song at a time by an atist is a fine format for radio and i-tunes, but I always felt is does a disservice to the artist for whom the album is a carefully thought out labor of love, with a beginning, middle and end. Anyway, that's what I do. I have a little portable CD player that goes everywhere with me, and I have my home stereo (I know... very '60's) and that's pretty much it. I have i-tunes at work and listen to my downloaded albums under headphones there, when the opportunity arises.



Top Ten Albums - week of March 5 - 11, 2010




1. The Week That Was - The Week That Was (Memphis Industries)

2. The Ruby Suns - Fight Softly (Sub Pop)

3. Field Music - Field Music (Measure) (Memphis Industries)

4. School of Language - Sea From Shore (Thrill Jockey Records)

5. Retribution Gospel Choir - 2 (Sub Pop)

6. his Orchestra - Field Guide to the Wilds (self release)

7. Tenlons Fort - Shelters (self release)

8. The Album Leaf - A Chorus of Storytellers (Sub Pop)

9. Eels - End Times (E Works Records/Vagrant Records)

10. Field Music - Tones of Town (Midheaven)


As is plain for anyone to see, I've gone ape-shit over Field Music, with 4 albums on the list if you include the solo projects of brothers Peter Brewis (The Week That Was) and David Brewis (School of Language). I can't wait to see them at Bootleg on March 27.

The Ruby Suns continue to expand and explode my notions of what is acceptable on musical terms, and I love them for it. The new Album, Fight Softly, is a dazzler.

whrabbit


No comments: