Thursday, March 25, 2010

Three Big Shows


I'm really excited about the three day run of shows that begins tonight, Thursday, March 25, 2010, with the Dead Meadow extravaganza at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. This free show popped on my radar late last week and I figured it was going to be impossible to get in. The only way to guarantee admittance was to pre-order their new CD/DVD set, Three Kings, to be put on THE LIST. Being the primitive that I am, I had never paypal-ed anything, but I went ahead and did it, so I believe I'm on the RSVP list to get in.

This show is a celebration of their new, live album with a concert performance and screening of the DVD. I look forward to a night of sludgy, droning psychedelia that I can only describe as Lugo-rock (Rock and Roll with a heavy dose of the lugubrious... like hearing music underwater).

I will be sorry to miss the Web In Front show at Echoplex and the Buzzbands event at Spaceland, but I just can't pass up Dead Meadow in the Cemetery.

Friday night, March 26, is another trip to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery (no...I'm not about to take up permanent residence there...as far as I know) to see Dustin O'Halloran and Hauschka performing indie/classical piano music, both accompanied by Magik Magik String Quintet, for an evening of hypnotic reverie that I expect to be musically stunning and emotionally moving.

I had neglected to remember that Dustin O'Halloran was half of Devics along with Sara Lov, and I'm a big fan of both. Otherwise I would have gotten a ticket well before I did, but now I'm going, and the Masonic Lodge will be my home for the next two nights.


Then on Saturday, March 27 is the show I'm most looking forward to (save the best for last) with Field Music and Learning Music at Bootleg Theatre. I've been singing the praises of this English band for a few weeks now and finally I'll get to see them. I've been listening to their newest album Field Music (Measure) non-stop since it came out and also their earlier, Tones of Town, along with The Week That Was (David Brewis' solo project) and School of Language (Peter Brewis' solo project) to complete my education.

They'll be performing selection from all these albums and more in their first swing through Los Angeles in, probably, three years, and I don't intend to wait another three years to see them again. In fact, I'll be at Amoeba on Tuesday, March 30 for their free in-store.

I'll be posting reviews of these show at both Radio Free Silver Lake and/or here as well.

whrabbit

No comments: