Monday, April 12, 2010

What I'm Listening To April 2 - 8, 2010

1. The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring Night (Jagjaguar)

2. Torches In Trees - Carnivora (self release)

3. Walking Sleep - Measure (TFTO Music)

4. Dead Meadow - Three Kings (Zemu Records)

5. The Stevenson Ranch Davidians - Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs (self release)

6. Choir of Young Believers - This is For The White In Your Eyes (Ghostly International)

7. Learning Music - It May Also Be This (Vosotros)

8. The Ruby Suns - Fight Softly (Sub Pop)

9. Retribution Gospel Choir - 2 (Sub Pop)

10. The Stevenson Ranch Davidians - Life and Death (self release)

Well, The Besnard Lakes made their way to the number one slot and this album, The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night, continues to grow, in my estimation. Not only is it musically adventurous, bold and daring, it is also, quite possibly, the most beautiful album of the year. One song in particular has a powerful hold on me, and that is "Land of Living Skies - Part 2: The Living Skies", which piles one beauty on top of another on top of another until I feel my heart breaking. Torches In Trees released their new EP, Carnivora, and it shows continuing growth and a sureness of their craft that only bodes well for their future. I swear , I hear Airplane influences in their compositions now.

The Walking Sleep CD, Measure, is the Flying Tourbillon Orchestra album we've wanted all along. Except we had to wait for a name change. The production on this CD is perhaps the best I've heard yet this year. Credit goes to Aaron Espinoza for figuring out exactly how to record them. The sound is clean, concise and with a tremendous amount of variety. I love this record. The Stevenson Ranch Davidians appeared with Walking Sleep at their first residency last week at The Echo, and so blew me away, I pulled out both their CD's for extended listening pleasure, so they're back on the list. I think this band's writing is exceptional.

whrabbit

No comments: