Monday, December 14, 2009

Heads Up

Saturday, December 19, is a night fraught with terrible choices. My first desire was for the X/Calexico Christmas show at The Wiltern, which I heard about months ago but, owing to finances, failed to get a ticket for. I have seen Calexico a few times and they're one of my favorite live band, but, and this may get me drummed out of the music community, I've never seen X live, and this would have been my chance were it not for Elaine Layabout.

The 3rd Annual Christmas Sweater Festival also takes place on this night. Last year's event at Echoplex was so well attended and fun that this year they've moved to the far swankier environment of El Rey.

Like last year they also have a stellar local line up with The Deadly Syndrome, The Pity Party, Eskimohunter, Castledoor and more and is likely to lure many an Eastsider to the Wilshire district. I love all the bands but am especially disappointed to miss Eskimohunter, who so impressed me at the Abbot Kinney Street Festival this September that I've been chasing them down to see another show ever since. Damn!


As you can see, The Monolators, are playing an instore at Origami Vinyl at 7, so one could, theoretically, attend this, then fly over to Pehrspace for...



This is where I'll be to hear my good friends, Cave Country, woo the hoedown audience with a set of their beautifully composed and sung alt country. What I'm really looking forward to is the set by Tenlons Fort. He performed a solo acoustic set last November 5th at The Echo at one o'clock in the morning that I haven't been able to shake off yet. It was one of my favorite sets of the year and the brilliance of the songwriting was matched by the performance itself, a highlight being when Nate Cole of Castledoor joined him onstage for a stunning duet on a memorable song called "You Won't Be With Me". Also on the bill are The Mystery Lights and Tomorrow's Tulips and since Elaine has yet to disappoint me, I'm sure they are worth checking out. Did I mention Elaine and the Layabouts will be playing a set too? Count me in!

whrabbit

No comments: