Friday, May 16, 2008

A Few Words

I've been storing up some steam this week for the marathon of concerts that take up the rest of this month.
Saturday night kicks off with Earlimart, Voxhaul Broadcast and Light FM at the Echoplex. I've already heard Earlimart perform some of their new material, I think they did 1 or 2 new songs at the Spaceland 13th Anniversary Party back in March, and heard a couple of songs online and it sounds like more superb work. Anxiously awaiting the new album out July 1st.
Sunday is a big dilemma. I would really love to be at the Eagle Rock Bowling and Drinking Club Prom Party to see the phenominal Fol Chen and Castledoor and meet up with some friends there. Another artist I've just recently been enjoying both live and on CD is Imaad Wasif with Two Part Beast and he's opening for a suddenly announced Sunday date with The Raconteurs at the Fonda. But I've had a ticket for the Troubadour to see an old favorite, Dios Malos, play with Murder By Death Sunday night for a while and can't give it up, so that's where I'll be.
Monday night has all the great free residencies which everyone is talking about, but I'll probably let that go so I can do the "Let's Independent" Tuesday night (May 20) at Boardner's. This months bands are The Karabal Nightlife, The Soft Hands and The Savages and since Joe Fielder of Radio Free Silver Lake never disappoints I wouldn't miss it.
Wednesday, May 21 finds me at the Wiltern for a dose of The Dresden Dolls and their incomparable punk/cabaret act. Being a Boston native I'm perhaps biased but Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglioni are amazingly talented and every time I've seen them, they've left me ecstatic! Also Lavender Diamond are opening and Becky Stark is one of my favorite people on the planet.
Thursday I grabbed a ticket for The Radar Bros. at the Knitting Factory. Oddly enough, the first time I saw them, last January at the Echo, they went on so late I didn't really enjoy them, but when they played that 13th Spaceland shindig and played one of the best sets of the day, I was very impressed, bought the CD and now I'm a fan.
On Thursday, May 29 it's R.E.M., Modest Mouse and The National at the Hollywood Bowl. Friday, May 30 is Beirut at the Wiltern and Saturday, May 31 is Swervedriver and Film School at the Fonda, not to mention what may come up in between.
Also happy to hear this week, via Kevin Bronson, that Broken Social Scene are set to play Sunset Junction this summer. Sunset Junction is one of my favorite annual events and the last two years have introduced me to some wonderful bands. This year it takes place the weekend of August 23 and 24.
And off in the future are two concerts by Fleet Foxes, June 28 at the Echo and June 29 at Spaceland. This band just came out of nowhere within the last few months (really Seattle) recorded an EP in January , caused a small sensation at SXSW in March, completed a forthcoming full length CD and are already working on a new CD. They're busy touring Europe now, following some eastern U.S. dates and then they'll play Los Angeles for the first time on those two night followed by other national dates. They just put some new songs on their myspace page which I urge you to check out. This band will be big. They sound like heaven... or melted butter... or honey, I don't know, take your pick. Oh, and the leader of the band, Robin Pecknold is just 21 years old. Brilliant!

whrabbit

No comments: