Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What I'm Listening To August 13 - 19, 2010



1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (Merge Records)

2. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (Drag City)

3. Darker My Love - Alive As You Are (Dangerbird Records)

4. Autolux - Transit Transit (TBD Records)

5. Lost In The Trees - All Alone In an Empty House (Anti)

6. Darker My Love - 2 (Dangerbird Records)

7. The Californian - Sea of Love (self release - Gold State Music)

8. Division Day - Visitation (Dangerbird Records)

9. Red Cortez - In The Fall EP (self release)

10. Division Day - Beartrap Island (Eenie Meenie Records)


A couple of newbies joined the list as the long awaited new Autolux album stormed my brain. Transit Transit is a beautiful album by a band that has been performing occasionally, but not recording. They say they wanted to wait till they were ready, and are they ever ready. After hearing this I immediately got a ticket for their upcoming show at El Rey on Sept 18.

I attended the CD release show for the new Darker My Love album, Alive As You Are at Bootleg after picked up the album that afternoon. It's a big departure from the swirling psychedelics of their last album, 2 (also on the list), towards a simplified, more country influenced kind of Nashville sound. And they do it extremely well. As usual, their songwriting is crisp and economical.

Arcade Fire hold onto the number one position easily. Still playing it over and over and see no end in sight. On this week I was fixated on "Rococo" and "We Used To Wait". I'm really enjoying Win Butler's growing ability as a singer.

Other than that, Division Day's two full length CD's made the list as their show at Bootleg on August 11 was a real eye opener and just a reaffirmation of how great they are live. Lost In The Trees stayed on my player, and the other entries are the usual: Newsom, Californian and Cortez.

whrabbit

No comments: