Monday, February 9, 2009

Hella Hipster Hoedown

Friday night, February 6, 2009, was Elaine Layabout's first Hella Hipster Hoedown at Pehrspace yet there were so many competing shows that night that crowds were distributed randomly throughout the dark and rainy city. But I doubt there was a more warm and inviting atmosphere than the barn Elaine had set up for the Hoedown.

There were bales of hay strewn throughout the space and homemade cornbread and cupcakes. And it smelled like a barn (minus the manure), a bit dusky from rain soaked clothes, but that just added to the flavor.

What I really liked were the freshly painted white walls that opened up Pehrspace like I've never seen before, and the reconfiguration of the performing space to the other corner thereby opening up that funny walled corner as audience space. Very smart move.

Death To Anders played a rousing set that sounded especially good, and each time I see them lately, they play a cohesive, well thought out set list that is never the same twice. Rob, Nick, Pete and John are becoming a seamless band and all their hard work is paying off.

I've really been enjoying the Divisadero CD, Lefty, recently, especially it's ambitious concept. I wanted to stay for some of their set even though it was late and I heard a couple of songs that recreate the lush sound of the recorded work. I'll spend more time with them at a later date.

I was glad I got to see two Isgoodmusic bands that night, Death To Anders and Divisadero, because I had to miss the Isgoodmusic show Jon Hirshfield was hosting over at Mr. T's Bowl, featuring Seasons. And congratulations to Elaine Layabout for a terrific launch of her new regular event, Hella Hipster Hoedown.

whrabbit

No comments: