Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Death To Anders Shoot Video

Even though I knew Friday night (January 23, 2009) would be a festive occasion, it surpassed my expectations. Word was out that Simon Cardoza would be shooting Death To Anders singing "Camera Lens" for their first video, and it looked like at least one member from a hundred local bands was present.

The program was presented by Elaine Layabout and featured (in addition to Death To Anders) The Hectors, Divisadero and Tesso. The evening turned into such an indie-social it was hard to stop talking long enough to pay the bands the attention they deserved.

Once again the barn-like auditorium and the prime 1960's-1970's American Legion decor hit a bulls eye in the heart of the assembled as, time after time, I heard people say how much they love the place. And special kudos to Ethan of The Flying Tourbillon Orchestra who handled sound duties and miraculously blended the sound of the bands against the acoustic limitations of the space.

Death To Anders performed a tight, polished set, which is becoming their norm, and when they got to "Camera Lens", Simon was all over the place shooting the video and both band and fans behaved admirably. This was my second trip to the American Legion Hall in Highland Park and I have to say, it's one of my favorite venues, too.


The next day I was knocked flat by a cold and subsequently missed some events I had been looking forward to. Like Elaine Layabout's photo and video exhibit on Saturday night (Jan. 24), Marvelous Toy at the Silverlake Lounge on Monday (Jan. 26) and The Monolators at The Echo on Tuesday. I'll be back out on Wednesday to catch the record release party for The French Semester at the Silverlake Lounge.

whrabbit

No comments: