Thursday, June 12, 2008

June Concerts

June is starting to fill in, concert-wise, and here are some I think are good bets.
Tonight (June 12) there's Helio Sequence at the Echoplex - good CD's, good both times I've seen them live and I hear their new album is something special. I like their songs and would like to attend but I'd also like to see The Poor Excuses at a place called the Unknown Theatre. I've been trying to catch up with this band, some of whom I've met, for a while now, but their latest gigs have been late (midnight or after) and tonight they go on at 12:30. But, hell, it's almost Friday and this place is only a few blocks from my home so I may make myself go. To quote Warren Zevon, "I'll sleep when I'm dead".
Friday (June 13) is The Submarines and Castledoor at the Echo. I've enjoyed The Submarines' couple/relationship, indie-rock a few times live and from what I hear, they just keep getting better. For me, Castledoor always come across as a life-force on stage. Positive energy just seems to pour out of this band and their live shows are always spot-on musically.
I see Russian Circles again on Sunday (June 15) as I'm pretty impressed by this band. I love instrumental rock, especially when it has a direction. I've been a fan of Explosions in the Sky and before going to see them at the Wiltern last March, I bought 3 of their CD's and enjoyed them. But seeing them live I became aware of a sameness in many of their songs and, frankly, I became bored during their set. This never happens to me...well, almost never, and maybe the fact I was so far back and couldn't see this, almost always seated, band way down on the stage was a factor. Anyway, a little over a week later I saw Russian Circles at the Echoplex and they were everything I wanted Explosions... to be. Beautiful instumentals, punctuated by loud, aggresive, but danceable, rock. They always adhere to melody and that sets them apart from a lot of instrumental-only bands. I've heard their new CD is excellent and I look forward to seeing them again, and at the Troubadour.
At Monday (June 16) night's Afternoons residency at Spaceland they're joined by Everest, fresh off their cross-country tour (beautifully documented on their blog at the Everest website by Russell and the gang). Afternoons is Brian Canning with fellow Irving members and assorted friends and their sound is in the Irving/Sea Wolf/Afternoons vein: i.e. beautiful, melodic indie-rock. It'll be nice to see them again and Everest will be Everest, which means, pretty much perfect.
Tuesday (June 17) is "Let's Independent", Radio Free Silver Lake's monthly event of great music at Boardner's. It's now $5. to attend, but that is nothing compared to the fact that it is always one of the month's programming highlights and this month is no exception , the headliner being that phenominal indie-pop collective The Parson Red Heads, promoting the release of their great new EP. Also on the bill is Buddy, who, according to his myspace page, plays "wimpycore", but the song samples sound really good so I'll pay attention, and The Hidden Hooks who Joe introduced to me a little while ago, and who I think I'm going to like alot.
Thursday (June 19) is Sea Wolf at the Echoplex. This band has never disappointed me at any of the six shows I've seen...O.K., maybe the sound at the Natural History Museum was a mess, but not their fault. Great songs, great singing and beautiful orchestrations are what I look forward to at their shows. I love their use of strings!
KCRW's Make Music Pasadena festival on Sat. June 21st sounds like a good time with performances by The Ravonettes, Autolux, Kinky, Everest, The Little Ones, Division Day, Jesca Hoop, Nordic Collective, Dengue Fever and others. May attend.
Thailand's CD release at the Silver Lake Lounge on Wed. June 25 with The Soft Hands interests me, but I will definitely be at the Fol Chen and Health Club show at Pehrspace on Fri. June 27. Fol Chen is one of my favorite new bands and Health Club sound beautiful, and never having been to Pehrspace, in spite of everyone from Mouse at Classical Geek Theatre to Travis of Web in Front to Joe (Radio Free Silver Lake) singing it's praises, I think I'd better go.
Fleet Foxes at the Echo on June 28 and June 29 at Spaceland I've already written about.
Afternoons final night of Spaceland residency (June 30) features The Happy Hollows and they are such fun. Sarah Negahderi is as enchanting on stage as she is talented as a singer, player and songwriter, and she's backed by a great band.
It's going to be a great summer.

whrabbit

No comments: