Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The World Record Record Release Extravaganza at Echoplex - October 4, 2012


Even though it was a Thursday night, that didn't stop the celebration for the release of the first record from The World Record (above) in six years from going on for hours. Radio Free Silver Lake hosted the giant show that featured four bands on the main stage and three other bands doing acoustic turns over in the corner between sets. And a huge crowd of well-wishers turned out on a week night to pick up copies of this hot new album. (I've listened to my copy and it's a superb record)

I tried to get there as early as possible, still missed the first band, but saw most of the acoustic set by The Breakups (at left) who were down to two members. Jake Gideon is such a good singer that it was just as polished as a full band set. Just as they finished, Seasons (below) fired up the main stage and this was when I notice the house that Aaron Ballard had told me he had constructed for the show. It hovered, like Dorothy's house, over violinist Caitlin Wolfberg, who bears no resemblance to the Wicked Witch of the West (except for maybe the magic she does with a violin).

Our attention was drawn to the digital shirt that was illuminating itself in time to the music on lead singer Nic Garcia. I enjoy the harmonizing they've been polishing with John and Kaitlin on key songs. They were in their usual tip-top form, even adding a trumpet player for the evening.

I actually feared for Kaitlin (at left) after Aaron told me he built the floating house in his gallery and then couldn't get it out the door because it was too big. He had to remove the roof and re-attach it at the Echoplex before the show, so it was held together with tape and hope. Fortunately there were no earthquakes (or twisters).

The sets were somewhat abbreviated to accommodate all the acts performing and the party atmosphere made one want to wander around and socialize. So I managed to miss The Damselles and the TC4 by hanging out on the patio and being taken to the green room. I was out front for the beginning of The World Record and, even though I've seen this band many times over the years. They sounded like a hot, new band, full of energy and enthusiasm.

It reminded me of the first time I saw them. It was at a Henry Clay People show (bash!) at Spaceland in April, 2009, and it was late, I was hanging out with Evan and Brett Marie Way and Brett said I had to stay to hear The World Record even though it was probably 12:30 in the morning. But I stayed and Brett Marie was right, they blew me away. Such harmonies! Such classic sounding pop songs! Very similar to The Parson Red Heads, but definitely their own band.

It all came back last Thursday night as they dominated the stage of Echoplex, even adding solid back up as the set progressed. Great new songs from the album included the title tune, "Freeway Special", "Be Nice" and "Cats On the Roof" and "We're #1" but one of the highlights was when I was taken backstage to watch from the wings. What a treat! I could really observe just how much hard work goes into making them soar. Ther were definitely number 1 tonight.

And soar they did, with Andy Creighton in strong voice, backed up by Aaron and then a brass section which added so much pizazz to the music, it just swept you up. Of course the sterling guitars of Andy and Aaron have always been a powerful component in their compositions. The shot above shows The Damselles on stage with them.

Afterward, I saw some of Geronimo Getty's fine acoustic set (at right) in the corner and Francisco The Man who finished out the musical portion of the night with a rousing show. Apart from the music and festivities, it was great to hang out with so many wonderful people who came out. The night eventually became a swirl of impressions, but I remember nice chats with Paulie and Cristal Pesh, Jef Hogan, John Seasons and Kathryn Pinto in the green room, Ruthann Friedman Carlisle, Ryan Fuller, Jake Gideon, who else? Hung around with Gerg, Rob Danson (Happy Birthday) Bronson, The Seasons gang. Couldn't have been a better night. I snuck back in to get a shot from the stage after it was over...for mood, and to prove to myself that I stayed till the end.

whrabbit
my photos, too.

No comments: